|Goulburn Court House|
The Cathedral Church of St Peter and Paul is a beautiful Gothic Revival Cathedral, commenced in 1872 and constructed of local greenstone, apparenlty the only green church in the world. Windows, arches, turrets and crosses are of Marulan sandstone, and the floors are made of marble.
The cathedral bell was founded in Dublin, shipped to Goulburn and installed in the tower. As the tower is now undergoing major restoration, the bell is currently sitting beside the baptismal font.
Queen Victoria established the Anglican Diocese of Goulburn in March 1863, making Goulburn Australia's first inland city. St Saviour's Cathedral is an English Decorated Gothic church designed by Edmund Thomas Blacket and constructed of sandstone.
The organ has over 3,000 pipes and over 43 stops (different sounding ranks of pipes). It was built in 1883 by the eminent firm of Forster and Andrews of Hull, Yorksire, and is the largest of their organs still intact. The gilded patterns on the front pipes and the iron filigree frame of the case are the design of the architect. As Blacket was an organist, he also prepared the specification for the organ builders.
Above the altar The Last Supper, after Leonardo da Vinci's fresco, is carved in Oamaru stone by W.P. Macintosh. It's a pretty dramatic scene full of inspiration, imagination and activity.
The sesquicentary patchwork wall hanging was coordinated by an international patchwork artist and completed by a cathedral group. The six metre square feature carries the diocesan symbol of a pelican feeding a chick.
|The Shearing Shed by Sebastian Meijbaum on the south-east wall of the Goulburn Civic Centre|