Monday, July 12, 2021

The Penelopiad: First Performance Week

The show kicks off this week; it's going to be huge. And so I need to prepare with coffee and pancakes, and hugs from my husband and cats.

 

Pancake breakfast at Cafe 2617

Him Outdoors with Melantho and Penelope
The rest of the photos are from our play The Penelopiad. They were taken at rehearsal by Pat Gallagher, and I think they do justice to the set, costumes, lighting, movement and acting of the production. It was truly fabulous.

We are the maids; the ones you killed; the ones you failed
Where shall I begin?
My father was King Icarius of Sparta. My mother was a Naiad
If I was a princess with silver and gold, And loved by a hero, I'd never grow old
Oh, if a young hero came a-marrying me, I'd always be beautiful, happy and free
It's hope, and hope only, that keeps us afloat.
There you are, Telemachus, my pet
That's what happens when you lose a war
We're all aware of your legendary modesty, Penelope
The suitors did not appear on the scene right away.
First we'll roast, then we'll feast! Heap up the platters!
I recruited twelve of my favourite maidservants, the youngest and most beautiful.
Weaving, weaving, ever grieving
While the time goes passing slowly
Queen Penelope, you must tell her! Tell her it was by your orders. She hates us!
Manners are for girls
When oh when oh when oh when - When will dear Odysseus come?
Is this the palace of the renowned Odysseus, of Trojan horse fame, master of deceiving tricks, and well-known for his hospitality to strangers?
Yes! Odysseus! Now we'll see who's master in this house!
The maids have been hanged, my lady
So much time gone. So much blood spilled.

So now that the show is over, I am able to put some time back into my social life. The first event will be a gathering of friends who have not yet met the cats. Because, as we know, it is all about them, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment