Monday, September 10, 2018

Everything's coming up cake

And so I have begun a new job. In this job there is cake. I think this a good thing. (The person who made the cake knows me and she knows that Liverpool Red is my favourite colour.)

New job cake
New (insider) job cake
And after a long, cold winter, the first shoots of spring are beginning to show in the garden.  

Leucojum or Summer Snowflake
I used to think these were snowdrops but, according to P. Allen Smith of Garden Home, they are not. 
"This plant is often confused with galanthus or snowdrops. But you can distinguish the two by the little green dot. Also the petals of the leucojum are an even length while galanthus has three long petals and three short petals."
So, now I know.

Some kind of daffodil
Purple flowers (Dendrobium orchids?)
Probably a Camellia
Garden growth
While at The National Gallery of Australia Bookshop, I came across this little gem: Schottenfreude by Ben Schott. You know how it seems like the Germans have a word for everything? Well, they really do. This book provides them along with meanings and pronunciation advice. Many of them are portmanteau words (yes, I am aware of the irony of using a French word to describe a German phenomenon), which are hilarious in literal as well as metaphoric translation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment