Monday, August 2, 2021

Other Entertainment

The light through the trees is always a pleasure on my walks - I love the changing patterns created by sun and shadow.


I am also 'keeping busy' by watching The Olympics. Team GB are doing very well, and I'm particularly loving the mixed relays - events where men and women compete together are among my favourite events at this year's games. Team GB won gold in the Triathlon Mixed Relay, and I was very pleased for them.


Someone, however, is not so keen on sharing my attention or my affection.


And when she isn't demonstrating her abilities as a muffler, she is demanding that she get fed. This is a cat who knows where her food is kept!


I wouldn't necessarily call this 'entertainment' (I mean, I didn't do it for fun or anything), but slamming my finger in a door certainly gave it instant colour as it began to bruise before my eyes. It's not broken as I can still bend it, but it does bloody hurt!


In book news, I have been learning about libraries. I have several book shelves and piles, and probably not the most efficient way of categorising my books, but I know where I am with them. I read an article about the concept of an antilibrary that implied one should add books to one's library that are recommended by friends or suggested by other books which have been of interest, even if there is no time to read them. Apparently, 'Tsundoku (積ん読) is a beautiful Japanese word describing the habit of acquiring books but letting them pile up without reading them.' Umberto Eco reckons that 'a private library is not an ego-boosting appendage but a research tool.' That makes me feel so much better.

The non-fiction library

I was also told about an app which allows one to log the books one is reading/ has read and then it makes recommendations for future reading, while breaking down the type of book one favours in terms of page length, pacing and mood. So far this year I have seemingly been drawn to reflective, informative, mysterious and adventurous books.

This year's mood

August bedside book pile

The weekly walk with the Walking Crew coincided with Design Diva's birthday (actually she has a birth week, so of course it did!). It was a little bit drizzly, but still a good morning, and she was very chuffed with some encouraging words chalked on the path which read (backwards) Doing Great Annie.


We finished off our walk at Local Press Cafe, where we all thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast, as you can see. 

Design Diva birthday girl
Salmon and pickles on toast
Spicy jackfruit tacos

Beetroot Bruschetta with bacon

Eggs on toast with bacon and wilted spinach, garlic oil, chilli and herbs

No comments:

Post a Comment